Monday, January 29, 2007

Boogie Fever - Baby Loves Disco

I gave up nightclubs a couple of years before I became a mom. I just couldn't take them anymore; the smoke, the drunken, unintelligible pick-up lines, trying to talk with your friends over the ear-splitting house music, it was all too much for me to take. Mix all that with the fact that I dance like a wounded chicken and you can see why I was only too thrilled never to see the inside of a club again.

Then I was invited to Baby Loves Disco - Boston. A dance club for the toddler set? Huh? I admit that I was confused by the concept, but intrigued. My daughter likes to shake her diaper-clad booty with the best of them, so who was I to deny her the chance to mingle with Boston's finest? So, I packed up my 21-month old toddler, my husband, and a couple of friends and their toddler son and off we went to the city. (yeah, I'm good like that.)

The event, held at the Revolution Rock Bar, was kid friendly from the word go. Just beyond the stroller parking we were greeted by a very helpful woman who pointed out all that Baby Loves Disco had to offer:


On the first floor - The Chill Out Room (complete with seating, tents with pillows, books and toys), for those who had boogied their little hearts out and needed a breather from all the excitement; The Airbrush Temporary Tattoo Station; The long table of complimentary healthy snacks and juice boxes provided by Wild Oats (I don't know how many organic cheese puffs we ate, but what happens at Baby Loves Disco stays at Baby Loves Disco).


The diaper changing station, probably the first bar rest area that I was not disgusted by but impressed with. There were even complimentary chair massages and a station for eyebrow waxing (??!) for the moms and dads. And? A cash bar. Yes, Meredith Viera, a bar. With alcohol. Around children. And yet I did not notice one parent acting inappropriately, or really acting as anything other than a doting, responsible parent. Go figure.

We took it all in and then headed downstairs to the dance area. I have to admit, it was a bit louder than I would have liked. The music, some of my favorites from the 70's and 80's spun by DJ Kon was great, the kids loved playing with the egg shakers and the hula hoops and didn't seem too bothered by the noise, so maybe it was just the mom in me. The actual dance space at the Revolution was pretty small for the crowd that was there (we were there at it's busiest time, around 3pm), so we headed back upstairs where we could still hear the music but had more room to enjoy ourselves.

Aw, yeah. Shakin' my groove thang.


Chicky, with cheese puffs in hand, immediately starting dancing to the music. She was in her element as she rocked out to Human League and ABC. And there was not one time where I felt my lack of coordination was an embarrassment. In fact, I was in good company. I was very impressed by all the mothers and fathers who were willing to make fools of themselves for their children's enjoyment. Together we danced around with our children and smiled at each other over their heads. Except for those parents who were just too cool for that kind of thing, it was a club after all.

We were there for about an hour and a half, plenty of time to have our fill of music and merriment. After we gathered our belongings (imagine feeling comfortable enough to drop your coat just about anywhere, knowing it would be right where you left it when you got back!) we were given goody bags on our way out, with swag from Baby Legs, a board book and a coupon to Wild Oats. The icing on the cake, if you ask me. We had a great time even without the freebies.



All in all, it was a very successful outing. I was extremely impressed with the Baby Loves Disco crew. Even the bartenders seemed to be enjoying themselves. One thing we noticed, and my friend was quick to point it out, there were very few children having tantrums or total sensory-overload induced meltdowns. To me that smacks of the perfect day with the kidlets.

----------------------------

Before I forget: A word about getting your tickets for Baby Loves Disco. The event we attended sold out three weeks in advance and the February slot is sold out as well. Plan now for March and buy your tickets today!

35 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT looks like fun...I wish I lived there....

9:12 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wish we could've gone to the Chicago event. I have a sneaking suspicion that Chambana ain't cool 'nuff for this kinda thang.

Sounds great! I'm jealous!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Avalon said...

Makes me wish I had a baby so I could go and dance....and no one would laugh at me!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Namito said...

I just read about this in the Globe this morning!

I am sorely, sorely tempted now.

9:36 AM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

That sounds like so much fun. And you dance like a wounded chicken too eh? Glad I'm not alone.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! That sounds like so much fun! And it's good to hear that no one notices the uncoordinated parents.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ah! That sounds like so much fun! And it's good to hear that no one notices the uncoordinated parents.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ah! That sounds like so much fun! And it's good to hear that no one notices the uncoordinated parents.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ah! That sounds like so much fun! And it's good to hear that no one notices the uncoordinated parents.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ah! That sounds like so much fun! And it's good to hear that no one notices the uncoordinated parents.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ah! That sounds like so much fun! And it's good to hear that no one notices the uncoordinated parents.

10:51 AM  
Blogger SJINCO said...

Wow! What a great review, and a great idea. Sounds like you guys had a great time!! I'm going to check it out for sure....

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I've been dying to go! I'm mad I wasn't invited to the first one, and now I can't get tickets for March since it's too close to my due date...

But I'm glad you and chicky had fun! Maybe we'll see each other there once i have #2!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Julie Pippert said...

That sounds so fun. Wish we had something like that here!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Very cute idea!

1:09 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

work it, chicky baby!

we have something similar in toronto; it's so cute to watch the toddler set (and their parents) bust a move.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is totally awesome. Especially the eyebrow waxing area and the cash bar. Aw, yeah.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

What a fun idea for parents - I'm glad you and Ms. Chicky had so much fun!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

What a fun idea for parents - I'm glad you and Ms. Chicky had so much fun!

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWE-SOME! That was so cool for you and Li'l Chicky!

Know what's not cool? Baby Loves Disco is not coming to Texas. Not ANYWHERE in the whole gi-normous state. Sucks.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

we went too! (well, to the one in Portland.) it was fabulous.

wish we'd have been able to convene at the same one. I think maybe your daughter could've induced my child to dance, seeing as how my crazed gyrations were doing nothing but make him want to hide his face in his dad's shoulder (and maybe that's why I haven't posted about the experience yet - only 18 months old and he's already mortified by my public behavior... sigh).

4:04 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

p.s. le Chicky couldn't be more scrumptious in that sweet-ass fuschia/army green combo. love.

love love love.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Amie Adams said...

That looks like so much fun!! Did the parents dance too?

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm considering it - just wasn't sure whether it was worth the ticket price. I've heard mixed reviews. Glad to hear it was a hit for you and your family!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast, though with the smoking ban in bars and restaurants here I find it's a lot more fun when we go out.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Jeni said...

i want to go SOOOO bad. but we are rural county folk living in the middle of nowhere.

6:41 PM  
Blogger cooler*doula said...

Uh, well god damn. We have historic squares and Spanish Moss and Paula Dean but no baby loves disco, even though baby will shake it any time he has the chance.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

We have something similar in Toronto - Family Dance Parties at a local hipster spot. SUPER. FUN.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like so much fun!

We have a local "Disco Cures Cancer" dance here, but it's adults only.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Wow. Thanks for the tip. But... they probably don't allow 5 and 6 year olds. Funny, we're usually planning for things to take the boys to, but for this we could ditch them and go out with Ava. (And drink! How inappropriate!)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

What an awesome time! I would have loved to take Liam to an event like that! What a riot. I would have been one of those no-shame-parents coaxing my child to dance.

1:38 AM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

What a fantastic event! Wish we had it here.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - looks like fun! Love the snacks from Wild Oats & the cash bar. very cool. I've gotta think about driving into Boston to do this - my kiddos would love it.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Michael Pickering said...

we made it out to the PDX event yesterday (3/11/2007) and i have to say that i was pretty under-whelmed. the djs could have easily been replaced with a mix cd of disco classics. i am big fan of live djs and hoped there would be more for me too (how often do i get out as a parent?). on the upside our 4 year old danced his feet off and ate enough snacks to match his ticket price.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Mama en Fuego said...

There is NO Baby Loves Disco in Arizona....that's just wacked cuz lemme tell ya, Mama loves Disco.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home