Sunday, October 21, 2007

Be prepared - the Sequoia Car Surival Kit

I will admit, we don't get many natural disasters up here in ol' New England. We may get the occasional hurricane or ground rumbler, which technically qualifies as a earthquake, but that's usually the worst of it. Okay, in my early teens we had a nasty tornado come through a neighboring town that almost completely leveled a residential street, but that was the worst catastrophe of the kind I can think of.

No, up here we get snow, lots of snow. There was this little, teensy storm back in '78 that closed down the entire region for a week and though that was a strange fluke of nature anything is possible in New England. Anything.

So, yes, it's good to be prepared. Maybe not to the point where you make your husband go out to buy bottled water and canned goods - ahem - but it's never a bad thing to have cans of baked beans in your pantry. You know, just in case.

The Car Survival kit by Sequoia has exceeded my expectations in the preparedness department. It's packed tighter than Scarlet O'hara in her corset, which is to say a little too tightly for me (a little room for extras would be nice), but overall it's chock full of useful things.

I squealed like a little girl when I saw crank light/radio with cell phone charger (I loves me my gadgets) and the 151 piece first aid kit. There were also ready to eat meals (MREs) and packaged water that will last for a few years. There's even a multi-function hardware tool and leather work gloves in there. The more things my husband and I pulled out the more thrilled we were with this small, easy to stow kit.

The Sequoia Car Survival kit is very well thought out and it had just about everything I would need if, heaven forbid, I were trapped in my car during a snow storm - which, let's face it, is entirely possible in Massachusetts - like thermal emergency blankets and hand warmers, rain ponchos and waterproof and windproof matches.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I was most thrilled by the playing cards included in the kit. In times of hardship you have to have something to alleviate the boredom and tediousness and keep your mind off of what's going on around you. They really thought of everything!

I did mention that the kit is packed very tightly. With help from my husband, the master packer, we managed to get everything back into the bag, but barely. I would have liked a bit more room to pack a few things like a couple of diapers and wipes, a small package of dog food, and maybe some extra socks. But all in all, it was hard to find fault with the Sequoia Car Survival kit.

Would I recommend it to my friends? Absolutely! Well done, Sequoia. You've taken some of the pressure to prepare off of my shoulders and helped ease this mama's mind.

---------------------

This was a review for the Parent Bloggers Network.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger wayabetty said...

You sold me on the MRE's. With 4 kids, we often take them to visit the in-laws in NJ and with the snow, that certainly comes in handy before they eat old crackers off the floor of the van, if we get snow bound.

1:31 PM  
Blogger motherbumper said...

Ohhhhh I like the sounds of that crank light/radio - that is super cool and super needed during those darn pesky snow storms and hurricanes we get every so often. This sounds like a cool kit - nice review Mrs. Chicky.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Namito said...

Hmmm.

Moving to upstate Maine will be a good as an excuse as any for getting one of these.

Hell, I'd get one even if we weren't moving.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Whirlwind said...

I have a small one tucked into a closet. I should check to make sure Husband put the "gadgets" back in.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home